Having started weeding the nursery with the Scouts, at the end of May, it was time for the grown-ups to take over and finish the job . Thus the Northwood volunteers gathered together on two separate hot sunny days, at the start and end of the month, to spend a little time looking after our planted trees. By weeding around them we are reducing the competition and hopefully helping the trees to grow. We have cleared around the trees in the nursery, the newly planted trees in tree guards and our new hedgerow. Once cleared a layer of wood chippings was then used to surround the base of each plant to reduce the number of weeds re-growing thus making our job easier next year.
Not only have the weeds been growing but so has everything else and it was time to mow the fields. Plots were left long so as to provide nesting sites for skylarks. Skylarks are suffering due to changes in the timings of modern agriculture and thus it is wonderful to hear them singing and thriving in our wood pasture fields.
The rangers got stuck in again with installation of the new gates into Northwood’s wood pasture. On surprise, surprise, another hot sunny day myself, our assistant ranger and our full time volunteer, spent the day in the dirt digging the gates in. There are some days when you want to bury your head in a hole and there are other days that you do. After a very hot day and to the tune of the yellowhammer, the pedestrian gate and one of the field gate posts were installed, this time in the right place first time.
With another volunteer day accompanied by another sunny day, and having seen barely any / no rain for many weeks it was time to start watering our trees. Having only planted them late in the winter, their roots are not established enough to reach the water deep in the ground. While one volunteer took charge of the watering the other Thursday volunteers helped to pull ragwort. Over 20 rubble bags full later and it was time for me to leave for school, and the others to head onto other estate jobs.
This month I’ve been into both Slindon and Bury CofE Primary Schools. With Slindon Primary School I’ve helped out with their forest schools programme for their acorns class, which included natural paints, made from the chalk, clay, leaves and mud in the forest. The best canvas for painting on was found to be their skin or the skin of others, leading to many Amazonian style face masks. I left with my name on my arm, in case I forgot it, and a rather lovely long tailed horse. I have also attended several of the classes with the youngest catkins class, where they have enjoyed learning about the different trees in the forest and learning how best to climb old oakey, a fallen down old oak tree.
Meanwhile the children of Bury school learnt about what inhabits their pond. We found many a large dragonfly nymph, as well as 3 newts, which must’ve been caught by almost every child. We also found a few tiny tadpoles and even one child, who jumped in after attempting to lift a net that was too full of debris. The children also learnt about why pond dipping is important for determining the health of our pond. Each species is given a number from 1-5 which relates to how clean the water has to be to support them. Newts and dragonfly larvae, both need relatively clean water, thus each score 5. Our total for their pond was between 15 and 20, which indicates the pond was in ‘good’ health.
Our final volunteer task of the month was with the SDNPVRS who helped the rangers to prepare the site at Littlewood for the commencement of building of Littlewood lookout. More on this in the next installment.